It's Wellbeing Week!
13 Nov 2017
A week of FREE activities across campus from Monday, 20 to Friday 24 November
Get set for this year’s Wellbeing Week – a whole host of FREE activities across campus from Monday, 20 to Friday, 24 November.
It’s a chance for you to discover some of the many opportunities on campus – to relax, to be active, to try something new – but most of all to help you to increase your personal wellbeing as well as have some fun.
So get involved with the week and bring your colleagues along too!
The University’s staff wellbeing lead Sarah March said: “The University wants to show a real commitment to staff wellbeing and is encouraging all line managers to be flexible in enabling staff to attend activities and the Staff Wellbeing Fair throughout the week.
“Wellbeing activities improve staff morale and productivity so it is in all our interests to let our teams have the chance to attend – and also take the opportunity ourselves.”
Six Ways to Wellbeing
Based on research by the New Economics Foundation, the University has identified the Manchester Six Ways to Wellbeing: six actions to build into your day-to-day life in order to feel good and function well. These are:
- Connect – engage better with those around you and get to know new people
- Learn and Discover – make time to try something new or rediscover an old interest
- Be Active – find an activity that you enjoy and that suits you
- Take Notice – of your surroundings and savour the moment
- Give – do something that benefits others
- Be healthy – look after yourself, stay safe and respect your body
The Wellbeing Week programme is built around these Six Ways to Wellbeing, giving an opportunity to engage with each strand and to make us all thing about the steps we can take to reduce stress and find balance in our daily lives.
To find out more, visit:
What activities are on offer?
There are five days of activities including a Staff Wellbeing Fair. All activities are completely free and most are drop-in, meaning you can decide to go on the day. Just remember that you need to show your Staff ID card to join in!
The week’s highlights include:
- Monday – Sunrise yoga, free massage, creative writing workshops, bungee run bouncy castle
- Tuesday – Staff Wellbeing Benefits Fair, street market, meditation, Godlee Observatory tours
- Wednesday – T’ai Chi in the Whitworth Garden, Life with Bees, Opera in the Christie’s Bistro
- Thursday – Manchester Dogs Home, clothes swap, Vivarium tour, lunchtime concert, poetry reading at John Rylands Library
- Friday – Calm your brain and have a croissant, Mindfulness skills and pregnancy yoga
Follow Wellbeing Week via Twitter using the hashtag #UoMWellbeing: