Celebrating Graduation 2017!
10 Jul 2017
Wishing all our graduands the very best for a bright and exciting future
Students, watched by their proud families and friends, are being awarded their degrees at Congregations for the Conferment of Degrees this week and next.
The ceremonies are taking place at Whitworth Hall, Oxford Road from Monday, 10 July to Friday, 21 July.
As usual there’s an array of celebrations laid on by the Directorate of Student Experience, the Division of Development and Alumni Relations, Directorate of Estates and the Hospitality and Events team.
And on a more sober but inspiring note, this year’s joint winners of The University of Manchester’s Outstanding Alumni Award are Gareth Williams and Bonamy Grimes MBE, co-founders of Skyscanner, a leading travel search site which provides instant online comparisons for flights, hotels and car hire.
Amazing effort by staff
An incredible 10,000 students will graduate this summer, and will be welcomed into an alumni community numbering just under 300,000 and spanning 200 countries. In addition:
- More than 100 Professional Support Services staff are assisting in the ceremonies, primarily from the Schools and Faculties.
- The ceremonies are covered by 16 presiding officers, President and Vice Chancellor Professor Nancy Rothwell, Vice Presidents and Deans.
- 82 academic staff from across the Schools are making speeches and presenting students with their degrees.
- A team of 33 temporary staff help in the hall seating and checking students and guests
- They are assisted by 13 House Services staff, who also proudly carry the mace.
- A small army of staff from various companies and 20 student helpers staff University Place, where students collect tickets, robes and have their photos taken.
Head of Student Services Delivery Rita Kenwright said: “It’s a very busy fortnight for the team but we love it, the atmosphere on campus is terrific and we enjoy our role saying goodbye and well done to our students.”
Join in the celebrations
You can watch the ceremonies via our live stream from Whitworth Hall and look out for photos, videos, stories and more from graduation on our Facebook event.
Stay in touch
If you’re graduating over the next fortnight, you’ll automatically become a member of our global community of 350,000 alumni - the largest of any campus-based university in the UK. Alumni receive free access to Library e-resources like JSTOR and our online advice service, the Manchester Network.
The Manchester Network lets you get ahead as you search for the perfect career by connecting you with fellow alumni around the world who want to offer advice, work experience and even jobs to people like you.
Add a personal email address on My Manchester before Monday, 24 July so we can send you an exclusive invite to join the Manchester Network after you graduate.