Martin Harris Centre Autumn 2017 Season Announced
04 Sep 2017
The Centre is a performance space at the heart of the campus with a varied programme of arts events, many of which are free
This autumn the Centre has an exciting line-up of events, open to all. Highlights of the season include:
- In October, there will be a full programme of ‘Literature Live’ events in partnership with Manchester Literature Festival and the Centre for New Writing. The Centre will host readings with some of the most accomplished writers around today, including Jeanette Winterson, John Banville, Kamila Shamsie, and Jackie Kay. This autumn is particularly special as it marks the ten year anniversary of the Centre for New Writing.
- If you want to hear chamber music at its most thrilling, daring and intimate, join resident string quartet, Quatuor Danel for their thirteenth season at the University. This will be dominated by a complete performance of all of Beethoven’s string quartets, the first time this has happened since they joined us in 2005.
- The free Walter Carroll Lunchtime Concert Series continues with a varied and challenging programme. The concerts are free and there is no need to book, so you can just turn up on the day.
- As part of the Manchester Science Festival, see host folk mathematician Kyle D Evans, who will take you on a comedic musical tour through some unexpected parallels between maths and pop music!
- To celebrate National Poetry Day we are privileged to host award-winning poet and University of Manchester Chancellor, Lemn Sissay MBE, for a special poetry performance with school children from across the North West. He will also host “An Evening of Poetry”, open to everyone, with all proceeds from the event going to the Lemn Sissay Foundation, which supports the causes that are close to his heart: the arts, education, young people in care, care leavers and the people of Ethiopia.
- The Centre will host several concerts as part of the New Music North West Festival, a major biennial festival of new music that takes place at venues across the region. A notable event will be a Students’ Q&A with composer Mark-Anthony Turnage CBE.
The autumn season is now on sale and tickets can be purchased:
- In person or by calling the Martin Harris Centre Box Office on 0161 275 8951 (during opening times 12.30-2.30pm)
- online via Quaytickets
For full details of the new season, visit: