Undergraduate Open Day - Saturday, 13 October
04 Oct 2018
With an Undergraduate Open Day taking place on Saturday, 13 October, staff may receive queries about what's happening on the day
With this in mind, we have outlined some key information which you may find useful when speaking to prospective students.
Students do not have to register when they arrive and can head straight to their first session. All activities and talks are advertised in the programme and all talks are delivered on a first come, first entry basis – no talks require advanced bookings.
All guests who have registered on the open day website have been sent details of how to operate the open day Guidebook App, which outlines the sessions and activities taking place throughout the day. There is a video which gives instructions and an overview of the app, which can be downloaded from Google Play or iTunes App Store.
A limited stock of programmes will be available on the day from University Place and Whitworth Hall.
Student Experience Exhibition
In Whitworth Hall there will be various information stands with staff representatives, which include:
- Study Abroad
- Disability Support
- Student Support / Student Finance
- The University of Manchester Library
- Student Life
- Access Manchester
- Parents’ info
- Heritage & History
- University College for Interdisciplinary Learning
- Ethical Grand Challenges
- University-wide Language Programmes
For any enquiries you receive, highlight the exhibition as a great opportunity to speak to staff from a variety of services.
There will also be general talks running on both days, including:
- Introduction to the University
- Accommodation Panel
- Adult Returners to Education
- Language Courses to Complement Your Degree
- Student Life
- Parents’ Info Session (open to parents only)
- Student Finance
- Study Abroad
More details can be found on the Guidebook App and in the programme.
Subject specific talks will be running on both days and we recommend to prospective students to prioritise these sessions ahead of the general sessions. In addition, subject specific stands are also available to visit on the day, but please note these are often not in the same building as the subject talk. However, the Guidebook App and programme advertises this information and ambassadors will also be present on campus to help guide guests to their buildings.
We have three options available with regard to learning more about student accommodation:
- Option 1 – accommodation stand in the student experience exhibition in Whitworth Hall
- Option 2 – accommodation talk. This will include a panel of three students who have lived in city, Victoria Park and Fallowfield accommodation.
- Option 3 – accommodation tours. Please direct visitors to the area outside The Manchester Museum. Buses will pick visitors up from this point and take them up to Fallowfield. Guests will see a catered hall with shared facilities, and a self-catered hall with ensuite facilities.
Accommodation tours will be busy, with long queues expected. Please encourage visitors to consider options 1 and 2 and make people aware of alternative ways to view accommodation, such as the accommodation tours that run every week between October and March. Please note that the Accommodation Open House no longer takes place.
These will leave from the grass outside the Learning Commons and are advertised from 9.15am. Tours will last approximately 20 minutes.
There will be a shuttle bus running between Piccadilly Station and the Kilburn building. For times, please see the Guidebook App, or programme on the day.
Useful information with regard to travel, staying over prior to the open days, tips to make the most of your, and more, can be found at the following:
If you have any queries in relation to the open day please email firstname.lastname@example.org.