The University of Manchester EA/PA Network (UoM-PAs) is an internal network set up in 2014 to benefit all PSS EA, PA, Secretaries or Administrators who have a supporting role looking after an academic or executive.
- A cohesive EA/PA community (meet people you only talk to on the phone)
- Improved interpersonal skills / networking
- Sharing ideas and problem solving
- Building confidence
- New role opportunities – event management, venue finding (by assisting the Network Committee)
- Looking ahead - PA-specific CPD (continuous professional development)
Benefits of joining the Network
- Opportunity to attend events
- Learn and develop from industry related guest speakers
- Meet like-minded people
- Access to UoM-PA SharePoint site
Who we are
Founder: Maria Marsh, Executive Assistant to the Director - Dalton Nuclear Institute website: www.manchester.ac.uk/dalton
Event hosting/registration - Angel Harper, PA to Professor Mike Smith – Director of the Modelling and Simulation Centre, School of MACE.
Events and Networking
The University of Manchester-PAs meet several times a year with at least 4 external networking events and also internal Lunch and Learn events. All events are themed on personal development and will have a guest speaker or a presentation / training topic. All events are aimed to contribute to your learning and development.
If you would like to attend a UoM-PA event then please send an email with your job position and contact information to email: email@example.com. Please note you will be opting in/added to the database held on the University system and you will received event invitations, newsletetters and job related news.
The next event will be held on Monday 11 June 2018 – lunchtime 13:00-14:30 at Chancellors hotel – transport and lunch will be provided. If you are on the database an invitation will be sent.
External events are held by external venues to highlight their meeting and bedroom space for potential future use. The event hosts (hotels) will provide drinks and canapes and a meeting room / presentation facilities. If you attend an external event then please be gracious to stay or attend the short venue tours, as venue has kindly provided the food and drink for the event, thank you.
External events are mostly held on a Wednesday or Thursday evenings.
Most events follow this itinerary;
17:30-18:00 Networking, nibbles and drinks
18:00-18:30 Tour/showcase of venue facilities
18:35-18:45 Welcome to UoM-PAs – Maria Marsh
18:45-19:45 Guest speaker
19:45-20:30 Further networking
The next event more details will be posted soon!
Internal events are usually Lunch and Learn events held at internal meeting venues or training rooms on campus. Internal events look more at training and development and University related issues; your feedback on what you want to see at these future events is always welcome.
They are usually held from 12:00 - 14:00 with no lunch provided (bring your own), previous topics have included;
- Transactional Analysis
- Event Management
All events are organised with no budget, just donated time and effort - therefore we appreciate any and all support.
Dictionary.com definition: ‘a supportive system of sharing information and services among individuals and groups having a common interest’.
All the network events are very welcoming and a number of people arrive on their own. It is an opportunity to share general knowledge or ask for administrative assistance or expertise.
If you are unconfident in approaching others at the events Maria will happily introduce you.
- Approach the event with an open mind.
- A smile helps in any situation and makes you appear approachable.
- If you feel able to introduce yourself to people, please do.
- If you are unconfident in approaching others at the events please seek out Maria who will happily introduce you.
- Look for an opening to start a conversation; this could simply be about the food or surroundings.
- Don’t try to speak to everyone, start with a two to three people and if the opportunity arises to move into another room or area, then place yourself next to new people then you may have met 6 new people at the first event.
- Remember – everyone is in the same boat and there for the same reason.
Attend, network, meet colleagues, learn, enjoy!