The Equality Act (2010) places a legal duty on the University to prepare and publish equality objectives, at least every four years. We published our last set of objectives in 2012 and must publish our new objectives by 6th April 2016.
We have consulted widely on these objectives, gaining feedback from senior staff, staff network groups, trade unions, student’s union, local equality and diversity committees and the wider university community.
University of Manchester Draft Equality Objectives 2016 – 2020
- Improve the representation of women and black and minority ethnic (BME) staff in senior leadership, academic and professional support positions.
- Take action to further understand and improve the experience of disabled staff as indicated in the staff survey.
- Take action to further understand and address any differential outcomes of undergraduate students in relation to access, retention, attainment and progression to a positive graduate destination in relation to disability, ethnicity, gender and socio-economic status.
- Take action to understand and address any inequalities for researchers.
- To better understand the challenges, obstacles and barriers faced by different groups at the University and to foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not share it.
- Better understand the potential impact of University functions on certain groups by improving disclosure rates and reporting mechanisms for age, disability, ethnicity, caring responsibilities, religion or belief (including lack of belief) sexual orientation and gender reassignment.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) explains that the objectives we set must be specific, measurable and explicit about: The policy, function or practice they relate to; the people that are affected; the outcome they seek to achieve; why they have been selected, and how success will be measured.
These are high level objectives and once they have been formally agreed, detailed action plans will be developed not only at University level but at a local level and will link to Faculty, PSS, Library and Cultural Institutions operational plans.
A full review of these objectives will be monitored and reported bi-annually to HR Sub-Committee and the Teaching and Learning Group and annually to the Board of Governors and the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Forum.