New communications and marketing roles
15 Dec 2016
A round-up of recent management changes in comms and marketing roles across the University
Alan Ferns (above left), Director of Communications and Marketing, has been appointed to a new position at the University – Associate Vice-President for External Relations and Reputation.
Alan, who has headed the Division of Communications and Marketing (in its various guises) for around 20 years, will take up his new position on 3 January 2017.
Alan’s new role will involve working closely with the President and Vice-Chancellor and members of the senior team, as well as with relevant PSS directors, providing strategic leadership and greater coordination of the University’s external relations activities, and launching new initiatives to improve our reputation.
Early focus points will include the upcoming brand ambassadors training programme, enabling colleagues across the University to better represent and promote our distinctive values and strengths, and analysis of our external stakeholders survey.
Terry Hudghton, Head of University Marketing, will serve as interim Director of Communications and Marketing until a permanent replacement is appointed to the post.
Taryn Rock joins FBMH
Taryn Rock (above right)is the new Head of Communications, Engagement, Marketing and Student Recruitment in our Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, covering Sali Midjek-Conway’s maternity leave.
Formerly Director of Communications at the University of Liverpool, Taryn previously worked in the oil and gas and nuclear industries at an international level, and has particular expertise in organisational reputation and public engagement.
She is also an alumna of Alliance Manchester Business School.
New comms and marketing managers
Several members of our teams have recently been promoted to management-level positions in communications and marketing at the University.
- Kate Cassidy, Internal Communications Manager in the Division of Communications and Marketing;
- Jamie Brown, News and Media Relations Manager in the Division of Communications and Marketing;
- Tom Fern, Senior Communications Officer in the Division of Development and Alumni Relations;
- Sally Mavin, Senior Development Communications Officer in the Division of Development and Alumni Relations;
- Jenny Boden, Student Communications and Marketing Manager (pre-reg) in the Student and Communications Marketing Team – covering Marieke Mollitt’s maternity leave.